Phase 1: Individual Golf
In Phase 1, individual play can be permitted with no more than four players per group that either walk or ride alone in properly sanitized golf carts. Overall golf course operations should remain limited. Please see below for specific operational examples to safely reopen your facility.
Note: Vulnerable individuals should continue to shelter in place. Members of households with vulnerable residents should be aware that by returning to work or other environments where distancing is not practical, they could carry the virus back home. Precautions should be taken to isolate from vulnerable residents.
Golf Course Setup and Maintenance
- Minimal course setup and staff.
- Holes will be filled or adapted to allow for easy ball retrieval.
- No bunker rakes.
- No trash collection onsite. Players should remove their own trash.
- Flags should not be touched for any reason.
- No on course amenities.
- Water should not be available. The player should bring their own water and remove trash upon leaving.
On Course Restrooms
- Cleaned after each use.
- Only one person at a time.
Guidelines For Play
- Individual play can be permitted with no more than four players per group.
- Players can either walk or ride alone in properly sanitized golf carts.
Two people can ride in a golf cart if:
- It has a plexiglass shield or plastic clear barrier.
- The driver remain the driver and the passenger remain the passenger.
- Each wears a mask when in the golf cart.
- All league, clinic, camps and organized activities will remain suspended.
- Amplification of social distance messaging, signage and floor decals are required.
Print these Back2Golf Social Distancing Guidelines posters for your facility. These can be displayed in the golf shop, locker room, first tee, clubhouse, on golf carts or wherever appropriate.
- Visit CDC.gov here for communication materials for your facility.
Golf Shop/Retail Operations
- Golf Shops should remain closed.
- Remote check in procedures should be enacted.
Guest Supplies (Scorecards, Tees, Pencils)
- Available in sanitized bags upon request.
- No cash.
- Online payments accepted.
- Practice facilities may be open but are restricted to 10 or less people practicing strict social distancing.
- Enhanced practice ball sanitation protocol.
Teaching and Coaching/Club Fitting
- Golf Instruction and club fitting in person may be conducted on an individual basis while practicing strict social distancing.
- Group teaching and coaching programing is conducted virtually.
- Click here for additional teaching and coaching best practices.
- Immediate family or approved pairings may ride in properly sanitized carts.
- Click here for cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining your carts.
Club Storage and Bag Handling
- No club storage.
- Staff will not handle bags.
- No personal caddies.
- Forecaddies allowed only with strict social distancing measures in place.
- The only employees on site will be a management team, essential golf and maintenance staff.
- Players are responsible for their own safety while on Club property.
- Strict adherence to Personal Protective Equipment.
- Click here for additional CDC guidance on reducing the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace.
- Clubhouses should remain closed.
- Restaurants may provide take out food as per state and local regulation.
- Standalone gyms can be open if they adhere to strict physical distancing, cleaning, and sanitation protocols as well as state and local guidelines.
- Other outdoor wellness and programmed activities that adhere to social distancing and other state and local guidelines may apply.
- Click here for the Club Management Association of America’s reopening resources post-COVID-19.
Food and Beverage
- Follow state ABC and local health authorities regulations to determine if beverage carts are allowed. Understand the local requirements and definitions for “take-out” food.
- Clubhouse is closed with the exception of take-out food.
- Take-out should adhere to proper social distancing, preparation, cleaning, and sanitizing protocols for food and delivery.
- Click here for the National Restaurant Associations reopening guidance.
- Halfway house is closed.
- Beverage carts are not in use.
- Locker rooms are closed.
Classes and Events
- Individual play only - no organized events or shotguns.
- No organized clubhouse events or gatherings.
- No staff promotion or administrations of events.
- No pre or post gatherings.
- Virtual events are permitted based on appropriately spaced tee times.
- All scoring is done digitally.
- Fitness classes can be outdoor workout activities allowed with proper social distancing and no more than 10 people.
- Pools are closed.
- Visit the USTA facility and programming recommendations for tennis by clicking here.
- Rules of Golf apply with additional guidance and consideration for the Committee.
- Temporary measures in place for the Rules of Handicapping and the acceptability of scores played under the Phase 1 guidance.
- Click here for rules and handicapping guidance during the COVID-19 era.
Junior Golf, First Tee and Other Programs
- No junior golf programming.
Facility/Golf Course Sanitation
- Deep cleaning.
- Click here for sanitation and social distancing protocols from the CDC.